American Academy of Facial Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery
American Academy of Facial Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery

i asked a surgeon online to take a look at my photos how i can address my facial concerns

Question: Hi, I asked a surgeon online to take a look at my photos and tell me how I can address my facial concerns in relation to mid-face deficientcy. After his assesment, he sent me an email telling me how he would approach the problem. He said that I would need a small anteriorly based cheek implant with a paranasal, and/or premaxillary implants. I cannnot afford all implants along with the cost involved in hotel and flight reservations. Ever since this evaluation, I cannot find a Doctor who is able to assess me in the thorough way that this out-of-state surgeon did. I feel that the out-of-state surgeon nailed it. I feel that his way of thinking is right. I am having a difficult time finding a Doctor who has come to the same conclusion or even close. I don’t know what to do. I cannot tell a surgeon how they should do their job. How can I get an unbiased point of view so that I can be sure that I have exhausted all possible options available to me that will properly address my concerns? This is my face, and I do not have a lot of money to have to have revisonal surgery because it wasn’t done right in the first place. Please help me or guide me. The Doctors that I am meeting with are only leading me to what they feel most comfortable doing. One Doctor said that I could solve my problem with sculptra alone. I knew that couldn’t be right. Thanks.

Answer: This is a tough one. Like many questions here, I cannot solve your problems. Only a consultation with a qualified facial plastic surgeon can help establish that with you. You have to find someone who is experienced, knowledgeable, and communicates well with you about what you are wanting. But every surgeon has his or her own biases and recommendations. I would look at how many years a surgeon has been in practice, his reputation in the community, his board certification, his before and after photos, etc. I know that is not comforting but there is no easy right answer to a particular problem.