American Academy of Facial Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery
American Academy of Facial Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery

Can you help me find a specialist?

Question: Are there doctors that specialize in facial reconstructive surgery?

Answer: Almost any facial plastic surgeon is typically trained at some level with facial reconstruction.  However, some facial plastic surgeons only focus on cosmetic work, as they do not do reconstructive work or no longer take insurance to cover reconstructive procedures.  In addition, there is a wide gamut of what is meant by reconstruction, including congenital disorders (conditions you are born with like cleft lip and palate or craniofacial abnormalities), skin cancer reconstruction, major head and neck cancer reconstruction that requires free flap repairs or larger reconstructions, and of course traumatic repairs of facial fractures, etc.  Many surgeons have specialized in specific types of these repairs or lack training in some areas.  It is important to find a surgeon who has the experience, interest, and talent to help you correct your type of facial problem.

One thought on “Can you help me find a specialist?

  1. Raamona on said:

    Congrats to Tim Goodacre in his new role. Let us not forget the maivsse input over four decades by the European Academy of Facial Plastic Surgery , the leading edge of superspecialisation of Facial Plastic Surgery. This dynamic group has already jumped the gun far ahead of its time by including other surgical disciplines such as ENT, maxillo facial. occuloplastic and dermatologists who perform a significant if not the majority of facial surgery!The Americans have firmly put Facial Plastic surgery on the map as a stand alone subspecialty founded by Otolaryngologists ( aka ENT surgeons )

Comments are closed.