The AAFPRS was founded in 1964 as an autonomous professional society representing the specialty of facial plastic surgery. The mission of the AAFPRS is:
- To promote the highest quality facial plastic surgery through education, dissemination of professional information, and the establishment of professional standards.
- To achieve understanding and recognition of the specialty of facial plastic surgery by the medical profession, hospitals, and other medical care entities, legislative and regulatory bodies, and the public at large.
- To define facial plastic surgery as a specialty that requires intensive training and competence, embodies high ethical standards, artistic ideals, commitment to humanitarian service, and a desire to enhance the quality of human life.
- To serve as the public’s information source on facial plastic surgery.
- To assist members in the practice of facial plastic and reconstructive, guiding them in the delivery of high quality, cost-effective medicine and surgery.