American Academy of Facial Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery

clinical trials

Hi my name is Anthony Campfield. I have been taking antiretroviral drugs over 20 years. I have developed atrophy. My face has sunken in on both sides and on the temper region. I have tried sculptra but to no avail. Is there a clinical trial that i could get into to restore my face to almost permanent? This condition has cause me to have low self esteem and confidence. Thanks, your help would be deeply appreciated.

I am currently unaware of any “clinical trials” for corrective HIV related volume loss. however, there are many fillers that are both temporary and permanent other than Sculptra that may be able to work better for you. i would consult a facial plastic surgeon in your area. see the list of members on this Web site.

facial surgery

Hi,i am 24 years old i have a big scar on the right side of the face,after a fire accident i have it,can you help me with a surgery or something to remove it,thank you.

A burn injury is different from a linear scar. If it is just a linear scar then the scar is removed and a camouflaging technique like a geometric broken line or w-plasty would be used to make the straight line harder to see. if the scar is contracted and misaligned, a z-plasty can be used. dermabrasion could follow that to help with further camouflage.

if there is a larger area of your face burned and the skin does not look good, you would have most likely to rotate tissue from an adjacent area into the scarred area to remove it. ideally, you would not use a skin graft because it typically does not have as good color and texture match as tissue that is just adjacent to the burn. fortunately, the cheek typically has abundant tissue near it for rotation if the burn is not large. at 24 years of age, your skin may be a bit tighter though than say someone 70 years of age.

in summary, you really need to contact a facial plastic surgeon (you can find one near you in the locate a surgeon section of this Web site). i hope you find a solution to your problem.

about my Burnt face Case…

When he was a 9 month old baby, he was lying in a swing, his innocent sister burnt him with a match stick. His face got burnt from one side coz he was lying one sided!….i am cousin of Shees… Any Question Sir….!!!

Humanity Organization i am hopeful for my our face treatment because i belong to poor families…i wanna enjoy the normal life, i will a lots thankful to you… …!!!

yes, like the other post you can email ann at for info about our Face to Face program.

u can meet me through my ID’s and my contact number…
Facebook ID

My Cell # :

plzzz answer me at my ID or Cell Number…!!!

I am a 21 year old girl from india and i am a victim of burn injury

Sir/Ma’am,I have the honor to state that I am a 21 year old girl from India and I am a victim of burn injury. I have sustained about 15% burns which includes the entire left half of my face covering eye, ear, lips and part of nose plus right arm and shoulder.I have consulted few doctors in the past who were all of general opinion that they would be grafting skin there after taking it from elsewhere from my body.I was thinking of late to feature my condition through your academy.I have been in this condition for the past 10 years. I wear a cotton bandage on my face in order to cover my affected area which is already healed by now.This accident took place in 2002 8th january.If required i will send you my photographs having the wound. I aim to get consulted by the best of doctors since i value all of their opinions, and i know this would become much easy after it gets broadcasted through your esteemed society.Kindly extend your helping hand in my already dilapidated conditon.I shall remain highly obliged to your kindself for the needful. I hope to hear from your kind end soon.

Thanking you,With best regards,Richa

I am sorry to hear of your situation. You can email to see if you qualify for services and if we have someone to help you.=)

I got cut in my face 8 years ago i would like to have them remove

Question: Am 36 years old I got cut in my face 8years ago I would like to have them remove I realy dont know were to go are who to talk with to see if they can be remove .can someone please help me

Answer: The best thing to do is to find a surgeon on our member list (just go to the map on the home page and find a list of surgeons near your area). remember when a scar revision is performed, the goal is not to eliminate the scar but to make the line very hard to see by creating an irregular fine line like via a geometric broken line repair, w-plasty, etc. that tricks the eye into not being able to see it well. That is the art and the science of scar revision.

I am interested in the charity face to face

Question: Hello, I am interested in the charity “Face to Face” . I understand you work with them and they do pro-bono or charitable surgery and that would include on birth defects? My younger brother Anthony lives near Houston, is 46 yrs old and born with a very large Nevus Sebascious on the entire left side of his face, including down the neck and up into and above his left eye. He is partially blind in that eye and was born with a lazy eye. At the time, my parents were told by several doctors nothing could be done for him. I am wondering now with advances in plastic surgery if he can get help for removal of this large, highly raised birth defect? As you can imagine he grew up being teased and stared at, which was very hard on him. He does not have insurance nor the money to have any type of surgery, so I am looking to see if there is a charity that can give him hope for the future and help him with his very large birth defect. I can provide photos as jpegs if you can provide an email address for me to send them. Thank you for any advice or suggestions for him. You just do not know what this could mean to him and his family. Thank you for your time and again, I can provide photos of him. His name is Anthony D. Kemp (Andy) and I am his older sister, Lori Kemp – Smith and I live in Austin, Texas. My ph: 512-461-1391, Andy and my elderly mother are at phone: 281-344-9442. Bless you for any guidance or if you know of another charity that can help, it would be much appreciated. Sincerely, Lori K. Smith

Answer: I am sorry to hear of your situation. I have forwarded your information to Ann who is in charge of Face to Face. I hope we can help you.

What is the cost for stitching a laceration one in the hairline a veritcal on forhead and horizontal on forehead


Answer: this really depends on the surgeon doing it for you. i really cannot answer that question. however, in general if you have a laceration, it should be sewn up within 12 hours of the injury ideally.

i had a motor cycle accident left with a facial scar on the right cheek of my face

Question: I had a motor cycle accident when I was 10,and left with a facial scar on the right cheek of my face.I like to know if I could send some pictures and get some advice and consultation on it? Thank you for time.

Answer: Thanks for the question. This Web site forum is intended for answering general questions but not for giving specific medical advice. You need to find a qualified facial plastic surgeon (listed geographically on this site) for an in-person consultation to see what would be your best options.

i was in a car accident where i collided with my windshield of my car

Question: I was in a near fatal car accident on Dec.10,2004 where i collided with my windshield of my car. I shattered my skull over my right eye and various other injuries,they repaired my skull in the E.R after the accident with what little bone they could repair the skull with,but the bone over my eye is jagged. Would I have to have reconstruction of the bone over my eye before i undertake facial plastic surgery?

Answer: This is a difficult question to answer that would depend on a qualified facial plastic surgeon evaluating your situation personally. If you are asking if a loss of bone would preclude other cosmetic work, the answer is most likely not if there is protection of other surrounding tissues which would most likely be the case if you have not needed any support in that area. however, reviewing whether any significant scarring or other issues would be important by history and physical examination before a facial plastic surgeon would operate safely on you.