American Academy of Facial Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery

i have lost volume in my face i would like to get a filler

Question: I am 49 years old and have lost volume in my face. I would like to get a filler but am concerned about lumps and keloids. The plastic surgeon that I saw recommended Sculptra. What are your thoughts on this filler and how does Sculptra cause keloids? Thank you for your response.

Answer: First of all, your word choice of “keloid” needs to be clarified. A keloid is a thick thick scar that occurs only on the neck, ears, scalp, and body NOT face of individuals particularly Africans and some other ethnicities but can occur in white individuals as well. What you are probably referring to as a lump is a nodule that can occur with Sculptra product particularly in areas of high mobility like around the mouth or if the product is not placed with proper dilution. In the old days this was far more common because of low dilution of Sculptra. Today with proper dilution and proper technique and choice of facial area, the chances are far lower. I would speak with your physician about what his or her experience level is with the product and what problems he or she has encountered in the past.