American Academy of Facial Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery

i am considering plastic surgery due to a congenital problem

Question: Hi, I am considering plastic surgery due to a congenital problem. My face has no dimension and appears flat. I have seen a few doctors regarding my concern, but I feel they both have steered me into what they feel most comfortably performing. One says surgery, (cheek implants) and the other says injections of restaline, juvederm, or sculptra.. I am desperately looking for a Doctor who specializes in facial reconstruction and would be willing to travel out of state. Can you tell me what type of Doctor’s advice I should be seeking? Should they be certified in both maxio-facial as well as cosmetic? I’m so confused. One Doctor I saw only has the title of MD but yet does cosmetic procedures for the entire body. Thank you.

Answer: Unfortunately, there is an inherent bias with every surgeon who will offer what he or she thinks is better for you based on what procedure they are good at, like aesthetically, etc. Implants may be the right option but they also may be the wrong option for you. This forum is not the venue for one surgeon (me) to voice my opinion regarding this matter. You must find someone you trust, look studiously at the before and after photos, maybe speak with one of his or her patients and find someone you trust to do the work. I cannot speak as to a surgeon’s qualifications but this Web site features those who are facial plastic surgeons who are part of the American Academy of Facial Plastic & Reconstructive Surgery (AAFPRS) and/or who are board certified by the American Board of Facial Plastic & Reconstructive Surgery (ABFPRS).