American Academy of Facial Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery

Can you help me find a specialist?

Question: Are there doctors that specialize in facial reconstructive surgery?

Answer: Almost any facial plastic surgeon is typically trained at some level with facial reconstruction.  However, some facial plastic surgeons only focus on cosmetic work, as they do not do reconstructive work or no longer take insurance to cover reconstructive procedures.  In addition, there is a wide gamut of what is meant by reconstruction, including congenital disorders (conditions you are born with like cleft lip and palate or craniofacial abnormalities), skin cancer reconstruction, major head and neck cancer reconstruction that requires free flap repairs or larger reconstructions, and of course traumatic repairs of facial fractures, etc.  Many surgeons have specialized in specific types of these repairs or lack training in some areas.  It is important to find a surgeon who has the experience, interest, and talent to help you correct your type of facial problem.